What makes your community unique, special and different from others? Is it Walmart? Rooms To Go? Home Depot? McDonald’s? Mattress Firm?
When you travel, do you shop in the Walmarts across the country or do you seek out the local shops unique to the community that you are visiting? EXACTLY! You can shop at Walmart anytime – anywhere – you browse the local shops!
Yet many people shop at the “big box” stores where they live without considering their local options. In spite of the fact that it is the small, local businesses that create and support your community they are often overlooked for all of the wrong reasons.
Most consumers wrongly assume that prices will be higher in a small business vs. a corporate owned chain store and they will dismiss the perks that small businesses have to offer such as unique inventory, customer service and community support in favor of what they believe will be a cheaper price.
Before you head off to the big box store – consider this:
- Stores do not control pricing of most products – the vendors do. Using our stores as and example, when you consider mattress brands like Serta, Beautyrest or Comfortaire, the prices displayed on the sales tickets are the prices set by those vendors – not us. The price for a Serta iComfort Savant III Plush set will be the same whether you shop at Best Mattress Buys, Mattress One or Mattress Firm.
- Inventory is not always more easily available at big box stores. Smaller merchants can often provide faster service because they have the same access to vendors as big box stores do, but they cut out the middle man. If you need an item that is not available in their store, they can likely get in touch with the vendor right away and order it for you as opposed to placing an order with the store who places an order “corporate” who will then place and order with the vendor.
- Small store owners are usually eager to go above and beyond in their customer service. They tend to be hands-on and more flexible and actually CARE that you are happy with the service you receive because their business depends on your satisfaction. Word of mouth is powerful in a small community!
- You will often be pleasantly surprised by the product diversity in a small store. While the big box merchant will have everything you expect to find, the smaller stores actually take note of what customers are looking for and select products based on their demographics and customer preference.
- The dollars you spend in your local shops are far more likely to stay right here in your community. The money you spend, is used to make purchases from other local business and service providers – continuing to strengthen the economic base of your community.
In short – small businesses live, work, hire, play and contribute within your community. There’s even a day to celebrate them – Small Business Saturday – which takes place the Saturday following Thanksgiving, anchored between Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Whether it’s Small Business Saturday, this Saturday, next Saturday or any day in between, your support is always greatly appreciated!